Get your fuzzy socks and hot cocoa ready, Kansas City. From light displays to holiday parties and seasonal festivals, winter is where KC thrives.
Gather the family and friends and celebrate what makes the holiday season special with this guide featuring 47 winter events happening between December and February.
Where to see lights
- Evergy Festival of Lights at Powell Gardens | Wednesdays-Sundays, now until Friday, Dec. 30 | 4-10 p.m. | 1609 N.W. US Hwy. 50, Kingsville, MO | $7-16 | Check out new media artist Kevin Heckart’s interactive displays.
- Winter Magic | Now through Sunday, Jan. 1 | Historic Cliff Drive at Kessler Park | $25+ | Enjoy this festive, drive-through Christmas party. Want a sneak peek? Check this out.
- Holiday Light and Magic | Now through Sunday, Jan. 1 | 600 N. 126th St., Bonner Springs, KS | $25+ | Enjoy this one-mile drive through the park showcases 60+ character scenes.
- Lee’s Summit Magic Tree | Now through Monday, Jan. 2 | View High Drive and I-470 | Free | Come see this celebratory holiday landmark + bring a new, unwrapped toy to benefit Operation Toy Soldier.
- Holiday Lights on Farmstead Lane | Now through Sunday, Jan. 8 | 5-11 p.m. | 13800 Switzer Rd., Overland Park, KS | Free admission | Tune in to 90.5 Rose FM to hear your favorite holiday songs while watching the light display.
- Sar-Ko Aglow | Now through Monday, Jan. 16 | 6-11 p.m. | Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park, 87th St. Pkwy. and Lackman Rd., Lenexa, KS | Free admission | Take a nighttime stroll around Rose’s Pond to view the reflections on the water.
- KC Winter Wonderland | Dec. 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18 | 5:30-8:30 p.m. | 13875 S. Gardner Rd., Olathe, KS | $12.95+ | Take in the sights and sounds of the holidays at KC Pumpkin Patch and KC Wine Co.’s holiday light experience.
- Luminary Walk | December 2 and 3, 8-10, 15-17 | 5 p.m.-10 p.m, | Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens, 8909 W. 179th St., Overland Park, KS | $16.38 | Take a stroll along the lit pathways to experience the magical gnome and fairy villages + serene winter woods by candlelight.
- Knights of Lights | Dates and hours vary | 633 N. 130th St., between Kansas 7 and State Avenue | $12-20 | Watch the Kansas City Renaissance Festival grounds transform into a holiday experience for the whole family.
Food and drink
- Holiday pop-up bars | Lucky for you, we already had this guide covered.
- Merry Market | Weekends, now until Christmas | 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | City Market | Free admission | Taste mobile restaurant offerings + select farmers market vendors alongside artisans and performers.
- Holiday Open House at Louisburg Cider Mill | Saturday, Dec. 3 | 8 a.m.-6 p.m. | 14730 K68 Hwy., Louisburg, KS | Free admission | Enjoy sample tastings of the apple cider, soups, butters, honeycrisp apple barbecue sauce, and hard cider.
- Brookside Farmers’ Market Holiday Festival | Saturday, Dec. 17 | 9 a.m.-12 p.m. | 6425 Wornall Rd., KCMO | $0+ | The winds of winter won’t keep your local farmers, ranchers, and artisans away.
- Holiday Classes at The Culinary Center of Kansas City | Dates and hours vary | 7920 Santa Fe Dr., Overland Park, KS | Prices vary | Get your chef on at one of these holiday themed cooking classes.
- 12ish Bars of Christmas | Saturday, Dec. 17 | 2-11 p.m. | Konrad’s Kitchen and Tap House, 302 SW Main St., Lee’s Summit, MO | $10 | Get boozy on this annual bar crawl benefiting Hope House KC.
Local tree farms
- Bierman’s Christmas Tree Farm | Dec. 3, 4, 10, 11 | 9 a.m.-5 p.m. | 2825 S. 63rd St., Kansas City, KS | Prices vary | Drink hot chocolate and go on a sleigh ride before bringing home the perfect tree.
- Hessacres | Dates and hours vary | 24250 W. 83rd St., Lenexa, KS | Prices vary | Plenty of trees are still available here with sizes up to 7.5 ft.
- Pumpkins and Pines | Open daily | 9 a.m.-5 p.m. | 20606 S. State Rte. 7, Pleasant Hill, MO | $46+ | Choose a cut and ready tree, plus one of the 150+ decorated Christmas wreaths.
- Strawberry Hill Christmas Tree Farm | Open now through Monday, Dec. 19 | Hours vary | 794 Hwy. 40, Lawrence, KS | Prices vary | This farm has been growing and selling trees for 38 years.
- Sunshine Flowers | Open daily | 10 a.m. | 4509 Rainbow Blvd., Kansas City, KS | Find your tree and the rest of your holiday greenery — including Christmas cactus.
- Soil Service | Open daily | Hours vary | 7130 Troost Ave., Kansas City, MO | $50-130 | While you’re at the nursery, check out their other winter trees and shrubs.
- Farrand Farms | Open Monday through Saturday | 9 am.-5 p.m. | 5941 Noland Rd., Kansas City, MO | $99-249 | Other festive decorations include handmade woodland creatures, wreaths + poinsettias.
- Scout Troop 199 | Days and hours vary | 67th Street and Nall Drive, Overland Park, KS | $30+ | A troop tradition for the past 60 years.
- Christmas Ranch Tree Farm | Open Friday through Monday | 9 a.m.-5 p.m. | 24818 NE 148th St., Excelsior Springs, MO | Prices vary | Fun fact: this Christmas tree farm was used as a filming location for the Lifetime movie “My Sweet Holiday.”
- Fulk’s Tree Farm | Tuesday-Thursday, 12-5 p.m. + Friday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. | 23400 Hwy. 92, Platte City, MO | $7-160 | Cut down your Scotch Pine of choice while supplies last.
Ice skating, snowboarding + everything in between
- Snow Creek | Dates and hours vary | 1 Snow Creek Dr., Weston, MO | Ticket and pass prices vary | Ski, snowboard, and tube until your fingers are frozen if the weather allows.
- Crown Center Ice Terrace | Open through Sunday, March 3 | Hours vary | Crown Center Square | $8 admission, $5 skate rental | Lace up your skates to enjoy the 50th year of this outdoor rink.
- The Ice at Park Place | Open through February | Hours vary | 11565 Ash St., Leawood, KS | $11 admission, $4 skate rental | Enjoy a skate session before eating at a local Park Place restaurant.
- The Rink at Zona Rosa | Open through January | Hours vary | 8731 N. Stoddard Ave., Kansas City, MO | $12 admission, $5 skate rental | Skate under the holiday lights, or play a game of pond hockey.
- KC Ice Center | Dates and hours vary | 19900 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, Kansas | Prices vary | Enjoy the $8 public skate or take things to the next level and sign up for a class.
- Independence Community Ice | Dates and hours vary | 19100 E. Valley View Pkwy., Independence, MO | Prices vary | Check the inclusive low sensory skate options with sleds and walkers available for all.
- Summit Ice | Open through Sunday, Feb. 26 | Hours vary | 120 NE Chipman Rd., Lee’s Summit, MO | $8 public skate | This rink is fit with an extensive patio and open fire pits to stay warm and cozy while off the ice.
- Kansas City Curling Club | Dates vary | 2525 NW S. Outer Rd., Blue Springs, MO | Prices vary | Join a league, learn the basics, or participate in an open curling session at KC’s only dedicated curling facility.
New Year’s Eve
- Golden NYE Party | 8 p.m.-1 a.m. | Strang Reserve, 8020 Marty St., Overland Park, KS | $80-160 | Black tie optional, but best night ever required.
- J. Rieger Masquerade Ball | 8 p.m.-1 a.m. | 2700 Guinnote Ave., KCMO | $60-150 | Enjoy musical performances, photo ops, and a midnight toast to ring in 2023.
- NYE at Howl at the Moon | 7 p.m.-2 a.m. | 1334 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, MO | $80+ | Dance 2022 away and ring in the new year with an open bar + champagne toast.
- NYE Live! at Power and Light | Doors at 6:30 p.m. | KC Live! Block | Tickets can be purchased at the door | P&L party-goers can look forward to exclusive access to up to 10+ bars and nightclubs, all-inclusive packages, and live entertainment.
- NYE at the Temple XIII | 8 p.m. | 1330 E. Linwood Blvd., Kansas City, MO | $44-149 | This event has sold out for 13-straight years, so get your tickets sooner than later.
- NYE at The Levee | 9 p.m.-2 a.m. | 16 W. 43rd St., Kansas City, MO | $70-100 | Listen to live music while reminiscing on a great year.
- NYE with Luck 20 | 8 p.m. | Aztec Shawnee Theater, 11119 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS | $45 | Party like it’s 1933 (or 2023) at this jazz-themed NYE celebration.
- NYE Bash | 6 p.m.-12:30 a.m. | Cardboard Corner Cafe, 9240 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, KS | Bring in the new year with a board game + celebrate the cafe’s two year anniversary.
- NYE at John’s Big Deck | 9 p.m.-2 a.m. | 928 Wyandotte St., Kansas City, MO | $70+ | Start the new year off right with live music and a champagne toast.
- Zoo Year’s Eve | 9 a.m.-11 a.m. | Kansas City Zoo | Why wait until midnight to start the party? Play games and get your groove on at this family-friendly celebration.
- Westport NYE Celebrations | 4 p.m.-3 a.m. | Multiple locations | Prices vary | Unsure how you want to ring in the new year? This neighborhood will be jam packed with different celebrations for plenty of preferences. We’re eyeing the Irish New Year’s Eve at Kelly’s.
- New Year’s Eve in the Bamboo Room | 4 p.m.-1 a.m. | Bamboo Penny’s, 5270 W. 116th Place, Leawood, KS | No cover | Enjoy a dinner + handcrafted cocktails before getting the real party started — with a live acoustic music set, a champagne toast, and a special small bites menu starting at 9 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve: Live Music at Chaz | 7:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. | Chaz Restaurant and Lounge, 325 Ward Pkwy., KCMO | No cover | If you’re looking for a more quiet + intimate way to ring in the new year, this is the spot to be. Sip on cocktails and listen to jazz music while looking over at the Plaza lights when the clock strikes midnight.
- Big Balloon Build KC | Thursday, Dec. 1-Sunday, Dec. 4 | Times vary | Gregg Klice Community Center, 1600 E. 17th Ter., KCMO | $15+ | This international, family-friendly festival creates immersive worlds out of balloons, constructed by artists from around the world.
- Christmas Festival | Thursday, Dec. 15-Sunday, Dec. 18 | Times vary | Kauffman Center | $49+ | A holiday concert for all ages, including carols and songs from the top groups in KC, family sing-alongs, and a visit from big red himself. No, not Andy Reid, the other guy.
- Donut Fest | Sunday, Jan. 29 | 1-4:30 p.m. | Rochester Brewing and Roasting Company, 2129 Washington St., KCMO | $25+ | Try 8-10 food and drink samples and help name the best donut in town, with a portion of proceeds benefiting Hospitality Fund.
- KC Brew Fest | Saturday, Feb. 25 | 12-8 p.m. | Union Station | $50+ | Experience 50+ breweries, 150 beers, food trucks, and live music.