Your kitchen scraps deserve a better home than the garbage can — that’s why we’re digging into the details of composting in Kansas City, Missouri. The City of KCMO’s new composting program is here to give two green thumbs up, with the help of KC Can Compost.
Before you get started
- Use an uncoated paper bag
- Do not throw loose scraps in the bins
- The bins will be unlocked 24 hours a day
- Composting is free for all residents
Where to go
- Ed Wolfe Garage, 1120 Oak St.
- KCMO Health Department, 2400 Troost Ave.
- KCMO Parks & Recreation administrative building, 4600 E. 63rd Tfwy.
- Next door at KC Water’s administrative building, 4800 E. 63rd Tfwy.
Two green thumbs
Acceptable compostable items include:
- Meat + poultry
- Fruits + vegetables
- Coffee grounds, filters, and tea bags
- Plants + flower scraps
- Paper towels
- Pizza boxes + takeout containers
Feeling unsure? Cross-check here.