Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 30-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these KC spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- QuikTrip, multiple locations | No KC road trip is complete without a stop at QT. Grab a snack + make sure your tank is filled.
- Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Que, 3002 W. 47th Ave., Kansas City, KS | Get your Kansas City barbecue fix before hitting the road.
- Hi Hat Coffee, 5012 State Line Rd., Westwood Hills, KS | Stop by for some human fuel, more commonly known as coffee.
- Bonus: Grab a fun road trip game from Level One Game Shop.
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- The Greeting Committee, “Dandelion”
- The Mowgli’s, “Kansas City”
- Janelle Monáe, “Dirty Computer”
- Bonus: Check out KCtoday’s local collaborative playlist
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- I-70 Auto Service, 3111 N. Stadium Dr., Kansas City, MO
- KC AutoWorx, 505 Southwest Blvd., Kansas City, MO
- Duke & Bob’s Automotive, 1300 Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd., Kansas City, MO
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank
🐶 Don’t forget about Fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few: