Editor Dayten here. There are three things I’m passionate about.
- Local development and the future of Kansas City
- Niche hobbies, history, and design
- French fries
I love french fries, and as a journalist, I make it my business to know the best fries in the city. The word is out on a good side of fries — Joe’s, Tay’s Burger Shack, BRGR, Town Topic, Westport Cafe, Harry’s Country Club, Corvino (featured in Food & Wine, by the way).
At KCtoday, we go above and beyond: we’re breaking down why you love the fries you love and how to take local fries to the next level. Put your game face on: we’re about to get serious. Topology serious.
Crunching the numbers
If you follow our Instagram, you know that KC Taco Company has the most slept-on fries in the city. (City Editor Travis tells me Mission Taco has delicious frites, too — something about a taco place.)
But a straight cut fry might not be for you. It has to do with surface area. Seriously. The more area + less potato in the cut, the crispier the fry. (Not a math person? Here’s a visual.)
Love a thicker cut? Look for steak fries or wedges (think: LC’s + Gates). I like ‘em crispy, so waffle fries are my fav. I get mine from The BrewTop with a pork tenderloin and a Quirk.
Fry this on for size
Every meal is better with a side of fries — but that doesn’t mean they should stay on the sidelines.
- Summit Grill’s poutine is the ultimate comfort food: fries topped with brown gravy + cheese curds.
- Tiki Taco’s KC Burrito and Pancho’s California ask, “What if the fries were inside the burrito?”
- Biz & Weezy knows that tater tots are best enjoyed with a fork, and covered in candied bacon + cheese.
- My deepest cut: I drove down to Leawood — for research — and got the gyro fries from KC Gyro Guys, a food truck in a gas station parking lot. They were my companion to writing this story.
Best side of fries
- Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Que
- Tay’s Burger Shack
- Town Topic
- Westport Cafe
- Harry’s Country Club
- Corvino Supper Club
- KC Taco Company
- Mission Taco
- LC’s Bar-B-Q
- Gates Bar-B-Q
- The BrewTop
Best fry dishes
- Summit Grill
- Tiki Taco
- Biz & Weezy
- KC Gyro Guys