Happy September, Kansas City. 🍂 Spooky season is on the horizon and you already have a Pumpkin Spice latté in hand as you round out the last bit of summer — with all that excitement, you’re also looking for fun local events to attend. Read on for all the top events happening this month in the metro.
Wednesday, September 1-Sunday September 5
Wednesday | September 1
- Sporting KC II vs. Birmingham Legion | Wed., Sept. 1 | 7 p.m. | Children’s Mercy Park | $30+ | Kansas City’s USL team hosts a home match. ⚽
- Paint + Sip Class | Wed., Sept. 1 | 7-9 p.m. | Pinot’s Palette, 4165 N. Mulberry Dr. | $36 | Release your creative side with this guided ‘magic carpet ride’ paint class. 🖌️
Thursday | September 2
- Clay Walker | Thurs., Sept. 2 | 7 p.m. | KC Live! | Free | Enjoy a night of live music in the heart of downtown with this country musician.
- Royals vs. Indians | Thurs., Sept. 2 | 1:05 p.m. | Kauffman Stadium | $34.10+ | The Kansas City Royals face the Cleveland Indians for an afternoon game.
- Picasso & The Frog | Thurs., Sept. 2 | 12-1 p.m. | Cupcakin Bakery, 212 Nichols Rd. | Free | Bonus: Cupcakin will display your child’s art in their window this month.
- De Soto Days | Thurs., Sept. 2-Sat., Sept. 4 | 6 p.m. | Downtown De Soto, KS | Free | Celebrate the people + businesses of this west-metro town.
Friday | September 3
- Kansas City Irish Fest | Fri., Sept. 3-Sun., Sept. 5 | 5-11 p.m. | Crown Center | $8+ | Experience Ireland in the heart of Missouri with live performances, interactive heritage, workshops, and more. 🇮🇪
- Royals vs. White Sox | Sat., Sept. 4 | 7:10 p.m. | Kauffman Stadium | $15+ | The start of a weekend series against the AL Central leaders.
- Friday in the Park | Fri., Sept. 3 | 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. | Macken Park, 1002 Clark Ferguson Dr. | Free | Watch KC Swing Band perform.
- SantaCaliGon Days Festival | Fri., Sept. 3-Mon., Sept. 6 | Historic Independence Square | Free | One of the Midwest’s best arts and crafts shows that includes 500+ vendor booths, food, live entertainment, and a carnival.
Saturday | September 4
- Uncorked: KC Wine Festival | Sat., Sept. 4 | 1-9 p.m. | Union Station | $55+ | Enjoy 100+ global wines and champagnes, food trucks, a DJ, and photo booth. 🍷
- Hatch Chile Fest | Sat., Sept. 4 | 9 a.m. | Port Fonda, 4141 Pennsylvania Ave. | Free | A block party in Westport featuring games, drink specials, and live music.
- The Derby Party | Sat., Sept. 4 | 3 p.m. | Kansas City Museum | $75 | Learn about Kansas City’s vibrant history while enjoying southern food, fashion, and beverages.
Sunday | September 5
- Royals vs. White Sox | Sun., Sept. 5 | 1:10 p.m. | Kauffman Stadium | $13+ | The Kansas City Royals take on the Chicago White Sox for a home-field advantage game.
- KC NWSL vs. NC Courage | Sun., Sept. 5 | 6-10 p.m. | Legends Field | $33+ | Kansas City’s own women’s soccer league takes on its North Carolina competitors.
- Labor Day Dash 5K & 10K | Sun., Sept. 5 | 8-10 a.m. | Berkley Riverfront, 1298 River Front Dr. | $10+ | Join in on the fun run both in-person and virtually. 👟
- Sunday Train Ride | Sun., Sept. 5 | 2 p.m. | Belton Grandview & Kansas City Railroad, 502 E. Walnut St., Belton, MO | $12 | Ride on a vintage commuter coach, or the open air flat car as you take a 40 minute trip along the tracks of the storied Frisco Railroad. 🚂
Monday, September 6-Sunday September 12
Monday | September 6
- Jazz at the Garrison | Mon., Sept. 6 | 6-8 p.m. | Garrison School Cultural Center, 502 N. Water St., Liberty, MO | Free | Donations are appreciated at this once a month musical performance. 🎷
- Kansas City Temple Run | Mon., Sept. 6 | 8:50-11 a.m. | Liberty Stake Center, 6751 NE. 70th St., Kansas City, MO | Free | This year, the race is partnering with Amethyst Place to help families receive safe housing + basic needs. 🏃
Tuesday | September 7
- On Your Feet! | Tues., Sept. 7-Sun., Sept. 12 | Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. | Starlight Theatre | $15+ | A moving rags-to-riches story featuring some of the most chart-topping songs of the past quarter-century. 🎤
- Linwood Mini Chef Series | Tues., Sept. 7 | 5:30-6:30 p.m. | Linwood Family YMCA, 3800 E. Linwood Blvd. | $10 | Join Madden Tanner of Royale Boy Blue as he teaches thematic cooking lessons that incorporate math, science, nutrition, geography, and culture. 🧑🍳
- Little Explorers Club Science of Color | Tues., Sept. 7 | 10:15 a.m. | Museum at Prairiefire, 5801 W. 135th St. Overland Park, KS | $5 general admission | Explore how we see light + make your own color wheel and watch how light moves. 🌈
- Streetcar KC a River City Mafia Tour | Tues., Sept. 7 | 6-7:30 p.m. | 3rd and Grand Blvd., Kansas City, MO | $21 | Take a trip through the Kansas City underworld to learn about the history of the Mafia and its connection to jazz and politics in the middle of America. 🚎
Wednesday | September 8
- Golf Pickup | Wed., Sept. 8 | 8 a.m. | Heart of America Golf Academy, 7501 Blue River Rd., Kansas City, MO | $22 | ProTip: Players will be mixed-up for networking opportunities. ⛳
- Retro Storytime | Wed., Sept. 8 | 10 a.m. | Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, KS | $2 for non-members | “The Jolly Barnyard” will be read by a special guest from the 1950s All-Electric House + crafts will follow. 📚
- String Art Workshop | Wed., Sept. 8 | 6-8 p.m. | Englewood Station Art District, 10922 E. Winner Rd., Independence, MO | $45 | Kickoff football season with this Chiefs Kingdom craft. ProTip: Get your tickets early as the class is limited to 8 people.
Thursday | September 9
- Justin Moore | Thurs., Sept. 9 | 7 p.m. | KC Live! | $25 | ProTip: This Hot Country Nights performance is a ticketed show.
- Strings on the Green: Jackie Myers Quartet | Thurs., Sept. 9 | 5-8 p.m. | The Raphael Hotel, 325 Ward Pkwy., Kansas City, MO | Free | Myers’ mix of soul and jazz highlight her heartfelt voice and musical skill. 🎹
- Critical Conversations | Thurs., Sept. 9 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free with registration | UMKC hosts a discussion on the role of antiracism work and healing in museums.
- All Things Being Equal: Selections from the Nerman Collection | Thurs., Sept. 9-Wed., Oct. 13 | KCAI Gallery, 4415 Warwick Boulevard, Kansas City, MO | Times vary | Free | Select critical works by African American artists from their home sharing related stories. 🎨
Friday | September 10
- Art Westport | Fri., Sept. 10-Sun., Sept. 12 | 3 p.m. | Westport | Free to enter | The 41st annual art show, featuring 119 area artists. ProTip: Times vary each day.
- The Stolen Winnebagos | Fri., Sept. 10 | 9 p.m. | KC Live! | Free | ProTip: Guests after 9 p.m. must be 21 years of age or older.
Saturday | September 11
- Fiesta Hispana 2021 | Sat., Sept. 11-Sun., Sept. 12 | 12 p.m. | Barney Allis Plaza, 12th Street and Wyandotte Avenue | A major Midwest fiesta kicking off Hispanic Heritage Month. 🎉
- Travis Marvin | Sat., Sept. 11 | 9 p.m. | KC Live! | Free | A Kansas native who has opened for the likes of Eric Church, Little Big Town, Luke Bryan, and Florida Georgia Line.
- Historic West Bottoms Litter Cleanup | Sat., Sept. 11 | 9 a.m.-3 p.m. | 9th Street and Mulberry Street | Free | Volunteers can pick between the morning or afternoon shift. Free lunches available.
- Shake the Lake Country Music Festival | Sat., Sept. 11 | 3 p.m. | Longview Lake Swim Beach, 11101 Raytown Rd., Kansas City, MO | $49+ | Kansas City’s newest country music festival featuring headliners Dustin Lynch + Chris Janson. 🎶
Sunday | September 12
- Kansas City Corvette Show | Sun., Sept. 12 | 9 a.m.-2 p.m. | Hendrick Chevrolet, 8300 Shawnee Mission Pkwy., Mission, KS | Free | Free lunch will also be available. 🚘
- Chiefs vs. Browns | Sun., Sept. 12 | 3:25 p.m. | Arrowhead Stadium | $145+ | The first regular season game of the 2021-22 season starts in Kansas City.
- Nicki White | Sun., Sept. 12 | 4 p.m. | 1747 Summit Street, Kansas City, MO | Free | Part of a World Culture KC outdoor porch series. ProTips. Bring your own chair. Suggested $10 donation.
Monday, September 13-Sunday September 19
Monday | September 13
- The Broadway Cabaret | Mon., Sept. 13-Tues., Sept. 14 | 7:30-9 p.m. | MTH Theater at Crown Center | $39+ | Tunes from Tin Pan Alley era to more contemporary theater.
- Food Drive | Mon., Sept. 13 | 5-6 p.m. | Jewish Family Services, 425 E. 63rd St., Kansas City, MO | Free | Needed items include tomato products, dried fruit, paper towels, toothpaste, and toilet paper.
- Pottery Pub | Mon., Sept. 13 | 6-9 p.m. | The Goat Brewing Co., 817 Northeast Rice Road, Lee’s Summit, MO | $40 | Price includes your choice of pottery, glazing materials/instruction, and a complimentary beer. 🍺
Tuesday | September 14
- The Doobie Brothers | Tues., Sept. 14 | Doors at 6 p.m., show at 7:30 p.m. | Starlight Theatre | $39+ | The 50th anniversary tour featuring special guest The Dirty Dozen Brass Band.
- Royals vs. Athletics | Tues., Sept. 14 | 7:10 p.m. | Kauffman Stadium | $10+ | Autism Night theme tickets + the start of a 6-game homestand.
- CareerMD Networking Event | Tues., Sept. 14 | 5-8 p.m. | Rockhill Event Space, 2000 Grand Boulevard, Kansas, MO | Free | Graduate Medical Education students and faculty in all years and specialties are invited to free dinner + drinks.
Wednesday | September 15
- Bill Burr | Weds., Sept. 15 | Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. | Starlight Theatre | $35 | A Grammy-nominated comedian who made his debut as a host of Saturday Night Live.
- Jammin’ on the Green with Hot Club KC | Wed., Sept. 15 | 6:30-8 p.m. | Shawnee Town 1929, 11501 W. 57th St., Shawnee, KS | Free | 1920s acoustic jazz with light refreshments + lanterns. 🎵
Thursday | September 16
- Kansas City Underground Film Festival | Thurs., Sept. 16-Sun., Sept. 26 | Times vary | Charlotte Street Foundation, 3333 Charlotte Street, Kansas City, MO | Free | Under the nonprofit Film Society KC with a mission to uplift underseen independent films. Donations encouraged. 🎬
- American Royal Series of Barbecue | Thurs., Sept. 16-Sat., Sept. 18 | Times vary | Kansas Speedway | $8+ | The largest BBQ contest in the world raising money to support youth and education in agriculture. 🍽️
Friday | September 17
- Electric Poe | Fri., Sept. 17-Sun., Oct. 31 | Times vary | Union Cemetery, 227 E. 28th Terr., Kansas City, MO | $15+ | This outdoor special performance returns this year with 2 new Poe stories — The Pit and the Pendulum + The Tomb of Ligeia.
- The 35th Brookside Art Annual | Fri., Sept. 17-Sun., Sept. 19 | Times vary | 63rd and Brookside Boulevard | Free | One of the KC metro’s largest annual attractions attracting top artists.
- Constitution Day: Lunchtime Session on the First Amendment | Fri., Sept. 17 | 12-1:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | The KC Public Library hosts an interactive Lunch and Learn discussing some of the fundamental rights guaranteed in the First Amendment.
Saturday | September 18
- Bark in the Sculpture Park | Sat., Sept. 18 | 1 p.m. | Nelson Atkins Museum of Art | Free | Enjoy music by Kansas City’s favorite DJ Joe Straws and meet KC Pet Project adoptable dogs. 🐕
- Zona Rosa Central Park Opening | Sat., Sept. 18 | 11 a.m.-8 p.m. | Central Park in front of Bravo! Italian Kitchen, between Dixson Avenue and Stoddard Avenue | Free | Food trucks, music performances, face painting, fountains + children’s play area.
- KC Cider Fest | Sat., Sept. 18 | 12-6 p.m. | KC Wine Co., 13875 South Gardner Rd. Olathe, KS | $26.95 | Cider Stroll, hard cider sampling + keepsake glassware. Ages 21 and up.
- Fall Family Festival | Sat., Sept. 18 | 10 a.m.-3 p.m. | Kansas City Community Gardens, 6917 Kensington Ave Kansas City, MO | Free | Fruit and veggie tasting, garden crafts, yard games, a scavenger hunt, and free basil plants.
Sunday | September 19
- Low Country Shrimp Boil | Sun., Sept. 19 | 6-8 p.m. | HEADQUARTERS, 127 SE. 3rd St., Lee’s Summit, MO | $26+ | All you can eat; red potatoes, corn on the cob, fresh green beans, smoked sausage and shrimp. 🍤
Monday, September 20-Sunday September 26
Monday | September 20
- Cocktails + Chill at Cliff’s | Mon., Sept. 20 | 6:30 p.m. | Cliff’s Taphouse, 3044 Gillham Rd., Kansas City, MO | $75 | A private acupuncture party + cocktail class. 🍸
Tuesday | September 21
- Escape to Margaritaville | Tues., Sept. 21-Sun., Sept. 26 | Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. | $15+ | A musical comedy featuring both original songs and your most-loved Jimmy Buffett classics.
Wednesday | September 22
- Hunter/Jumper Horse Show | Wed., Sept. 22-Sun., Sept. 26 | 7 p.m. | The American Royal, 1701 American Royal Ct., Kansas City, MO | $17 | A nationally-rated hunter/jumper horse show featuring three grand prix horses, a hunter derby, and gives over $100,000 away in prize money. 🏇
Thursday | September 23
- 3rd Annual Oktoberfest | Thurs., Sept. 23-Sun., Sept. 26 | 1-10 p.m. | Transport Brewery, 11113 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS | Free | Break out your Lederhosen, Steins and Das Boots to celebrate this annual event with live music, food trucks, merchandise, and competitions. 🍺
Friday | September 24
- Toughest Monster Truck Tour | Fri., Sept. 24-Sat., Sept. 25 | Times Vary | Cable Dahmer Arena | $16+ | See Bigfoot and more of the top trucks in the nation. 🏁
- 2021 Plaza Art Fair | Fri., Sept. 24-26 | 5 p.m. on Friday | Country Club Plaza | Free to enter | ProTip: Giralda Parking Garage is free.
- Young Frankenstein | Fri., Sept. 24 | 8:45 p.m. | Community Bookshelf Parking Garage at 12th Street and Baltimore Avenue | Free | Register through the Kansas City Library and begin seating at 8 p.m.
Saturday | September 25
- Corvettes and Cannolli’s | Sat., Sept. 25 | 8-10 a.m. | Jasper’s Restaurant, 103rd & State Line, Kansas City, MO | Free | Celebrate National Cannoli Month with free cannolis + coffee from Jasper’s, and corvettes on display. 🥐
- KC Pumpkin Patch | Sat., Sept. 25-Sun., Oct. 31 | 10-6 p.m. | KC Wine Co., 13875 South Gardner Rd. Olathe, KS | $13.95+ | Experience a day of adventure as you slide, climb, and play your way through acres of farm fun.
- Tacos & Tequila Festival | Sat., Sept. 25 | 3 p.m. | Legends Field | $59 | KCK’s best taco vendors headlined by Ludacris. 🌮
- Pint Path NKC | Sat., Sept. 25 | 12-5 p.m. | 1599 Iron Street, North Kansas City, MO | $15+ | Pub crawl with prizes + a new fun ride.
- Little Big Town: Nightfall Tour | Sat., Sept. 25 | Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. | Arvest Bank Theatre at The Midland, 1228 Main Street, Kansas City, MO | $35+ | Hit songs include “Little White Church” and “Tornado.”
- BAS at the Park | Sat., Sept. 25 | 12:30-1:30 p.m. | Rose Garden at Loose Park | Free with registration | Bach Aria Soloists sing among the flowers. ProTip: Bring your chair/blanket + favorite beverage.
Sunday | September 26
- Chiefs vs. Chargers | Sun., Sept. 26 | 12 p.m. | Arrowhead | $115+ | An AFC West showdown right here in Kansas City.
- Sporting KC vs. Seattle Sounders | Sun., Sept. 26 | 6 p.m. | Children’s Mercy Park | $30+ | The boys in blue take the pitch with home field advantage.
Monday, September 27-Sunday October 3
Monday | September 27
- Ginworld Symposium & Blind Tasting Master Session | Mon., Sept. 27 | 11-4 p.m. | Lifted Spirits Distillery, 1734 Cherry St., Kansas City, MO | $35 | Symposium includes meet the brands, tastings, seminars, panels, a master blind tasting seminar, and industry lunch.
- Royals vs. Indians | Mon., Sept. 27 | 7:10 p.m. | Kauffman Stadium | $11+ | Bring your furry friends to the K. ProTip: Bark at the Park ticket costs $45.
Tuesday | September 28
- Ginworld Casino Royale Ultimate Cocktail Affair | Tues., Sept. 28 | 6-9 p.m. | Tom’s Town Distilling Co., 1701 Main St., Kansas City, MO | $10 | ProTip: Formal attire is required. 👔
Wednesday | September 29
- Kendra Scott Giveback | Wed., Sept. 29-Thurs., Sept. 30 | 10 a.m.-7 p.m. | Kendra Scott, 412 Nichols Rd., Kansas City, MO | Free | Head For The Cue partners with Kendra Scott to raise funds for clinical research and patient and caregiver programs.
Thursday | September 30
- Ghost Light | Thurs., Sept. 30 | 7 p.m. | Nelson-Atkins Museum lawn | $30 | A hybrid concert + ghost-story event with spooky tales about KC’s cultural crossroads. 👻
- Royals vs. Indians | Thurs., Sept. 30 | 7:10 p.m. | Kauffman Stadium | $11+ | Breast Cancer night offering pink ribbon Royals hats with theme ticket.
Friday | October 1
- KC Oktoberfest | Fri., Oct. 1-Sat., Oct. 2 | 5 p.m. | Crown Center | $10+ | Presented and organized by Kansas City Bier Company, modeled after the Munich Oktoberfest in Germany. 🍺
- Soiree Under the Stars | Fri., Oct. 1 | 6:30 p.m. | The Combine, 2999 Troost, Kansas City, MO | $50 | An evening of cocktails, appetizers, raffle, and live music supporting the Kansas City Symphony.
- Oktoberfest Art & Craft Show | Fri., Oct. 1 | 11 a.m. | The Pavilion at John Knox Village, 520 Northwest Murray Road, Lee’s Summit, MO | Free | More than 100 booths for Halloween + Thanksgiving.
Saturday | October 2
- Weston Applefest | Sat., Oct 2-Sun., Oct. 3 | 10 a.m. | Weston, MO | Shopping + food with local artisans, vendors and craft brands. 🍎
- Fall Fest | Sat., Oct. 2 | 3 p.m. | KC Farm School, 42233 Gibbs Road, Kansas City, KS | Free | Farm tours, face painting, live music, a silent auction + interactive demos.
- BarQfest 2021 | Sat., Oct. 2 | 11 a.m.-9 p.m. | $10+ | 8801 E. 66th St., Raytown, MO | A street festival raising money for Midwest Animal ResQ. Pro Tip: This event is 21+. 🐕
Sunday | October 3
- Hayride | Sun., Oct. 3 | 5-8 p.m. | The Rock of KC, 12001 N. Robinhood Ln., Kansas City, MO | Free | Enjoy a night of bounce houses, pony rides, Music + dancing, and a fireworks show.
- Oktoberfest 5k | Sun., Oct. 3 | 8 a.m. | KC Running Company | 200 E. 135th St. Kansas City, MO | Participants receive a finishers medal, race shirt, and enjoy live traditional German music and beers.
- Let’s Get Trivial | Sun., Oct. 3 | 1-3 p.m. | Kansas Bier Company, 310 W 79th St., Kansas City, MO | Gift cards are awarded to the first, second and third place teams.