This conversation was written by Mac Rudisel, KCtoday’s editorial intern.
Is the summer heat making you crave a refreshing, sweet treat? June is prime blueberry + cherry season, and July’s blackberries are right around the corner. We’re ripe with excitement to share the finest berry farms around the KC metro – all within picking distance.
Cider Hill Family Orchard, 3341 N. 139 St., Kansas City, KS
- Cherries (June), blackberries (July)
- Hours vary
- Cherries $7-8/lb, blackberries TBD
- Email to have them picked for you
Gieringers Family Orchard & Berry Farm, 39345 W. 183 St., Edgerton, KS
- Blueberries (mid-June), blackberries (mid-June), cherries (mid-June)
- Tues.-Fri., 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Blueberries and blackberries $4.99/lb, cherries $6.99/lb
- Wearing gloves, closed-toed shoes, and sunscreen is recommended if picking your own
Oregon Trail Farm, 18962 Sante Fe Trl., Leavenworth, KS
- Blueberries (late June), blackberries (July), raspberries (July)
- Wed., Fri., Sat., 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Blueberries $4.50/lb, blackberries TBD, raspberries TBD
Duncan’s Berry Farm, 908 F. Hwy., Smithville, MO
- Blueberries (June), blackberries (early July)
- Mon., Tues., Thurs.-Fri., 7 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Blueberries + blackberries $7/lb
- Reservations required, book here
Bochelman Berries, 20821 Bockelman Ln., Peculiar, MO
- Blueberries (mid June-mid July), blackberries (mid July)
- Mon.-Sat., 8 a.m.-8 p.m., Sun., 2-8 p.m.
- Blueberries + blackberries $2.20/lb
- Cash and check only
Colonial Gardens, 27610 E. Wyatt Rd., Blue Springs, MO
- Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries (June), peaches, apples (mid-July)
- Daily, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Bramble pass $2, blackberries sold by the quart, raspberries sold by the pint
Before you head out, make sure to be equipped with working clothes, bug spray, and sunscreen to combat the rough farm elements and that midwestern summer sun. It’s also good to keep in mind that berries don’t do well in the heat – and neither do we – so bring something cool to store them in. Most farms also provide a basket to hold your hand-picked berries, but bringing a container from home is recommended.